United Arab Emirates
A 22-year-old female asked about a 74-year-old female:

when is it required to switch from endotrach tube to tracheostomy for an ipf patient who is on long term mechanical ventilation?

Dr. Tso Chen
Dr. Tso Chenanswered
After 7 to 10 days: At my institution, the pulmonologists recommend to get tracheostomy after 7 to 10 days, but definitely not longer than 14 days.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Trach and Vent mgt: It depends on the ICU and medical history and settings of the ventilator. One to two weeks on the ventilator is the usual time period before discussing tracheostomy. The tracheostomy has its own benefits and complications. Optimally, trying to wean off the vent and using BiPAP or CPAP may be considered.