Arlington, VA

I was previously diagnosed with pericarditis, months later i'm still feeling a slight chest pain ? how serious is this?

Dr. Barry Sheppard
Thoracic Surgery 34 years experience
It depends: Pericarditis is an inflammation of the tissue that surrounds and protects the heart. There are many different causes of such inflammation and your question as to the seriousness of persistent or recurrent dz I s directly related to the seriousness of the type of pericarditis. Causes of pericarditis include autoimmune diseases, MI, infections from viruses, bacteria and TB, uremia to name a few

Last updated Jun 17, 2014