Grand Lake, CO
A 54-year-old female asked about a male:

98 year old father with a 20 year urostomy, performed his own changes since the begining. 2 years ago surgery to remove gall bladder caused a hernia, which is causing leaking wafer?

Dr. Tracy Berg
General Surgery 32 years experience
Ostomy appliance: Sorry to hear this. There are ostomy/urostomy appliances that are special made to sit on challenging sites. Okay to ask your doc, urologist or call your ostomy supply outlet for advice. A consult with an ostomy nurse may be helpful. Be well.
Dr. Steven Harris
Plastic Surgery 37 years experience
Good nurse can help: Help your dad see a certified wound / ostomy nurse (CWON). They can help with different wafer and "filler" products to get the best fit possible. At 98 I am guessing that hernia repair is not an option, although more and more people are living that long and having surgery late in life. I am sorry he is having to go through this. Good luck!