New Zeland

If a blood test comes with a few troubling results but the blood cells popped because it was in the lab too long. should a retest be done? my doctor says its okay but im not sure if he is being lazy

Dr. Ifeoma Nnaji
It depends: It all depends on what's abnormal. If it's not affect his management then that's why he is not repeating it. First ask how the abnormal results affects you and the reason why you went to the doctor in the first place. Good health.
Dr. Michael Finkelstein
Blood: if the value that was abnormal was potassium it was probably because the blood was sitting too long so he is not a lazy part on your doctor but it does happen when blood sits around your the values for probably normal
Dr. Jalal Zuberi
Second blood test : I am sure your doctor looked at the blood test results, the type of cells in question, and advised u appropriately. Certain types of cells break down if improperly collected or stored before analyzed. If u have concerns, I am sure your doctor wouldn't mind them being repeated for your assurance.
Dr. Sean O'mara
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Lab tests: It sounds like some of your blood cells may have ruptured causing some of their intra-cellular content to leak out making some of the lab results questionable. I suspect your physician is not being lazy but rather just offering his honest opinion. I recommend you discuss this with them and offer that you don't mind going through the trouble of repeating the test for the sake of maximized accuracy.

Last updated Feb 10, 2015