can you tell me how is fat in the lower body better than fat around your belly?

3 doctor answers
Dr. James Chappell
28 years experience Plastic Surgery
Types of fat: It's not that one type of fat is better. Visceral fat, the fat in the omentum overlying your intestines, is where you need to see the changes (smaller belly) to know you are making progress with weight control and what I would consider the best chance for being healthier. As a plastic surgeon I can do liposuction to remove fat, and that makes you look better, but it doesn't make you healthier.
Answered on Mar 22, 2020
1
1
Dr. Sharon Ann Clark
40 years experience Plastic Surgery
When one liposuctions fat and then gains weight, there is an increased risk of putting that fat internally in the large fat cells of the omentum. It is important to encourage people not to gain weight after liposuction not only for aesthetics but also for improvement of health.
Oct 31, 2015
Dr. Sharon Ann Clark
40 years experience Plastic Surgery
Definition of better: Fat cells differ throughout the body, & "better" for different purposes. The fat cells of the abdomen around the umbilicus (belly button) are small with little connective tissue: this fat is the best for use to augment the face, areas needing more subtle sculpting. Fat cells lower in the body, e.g. lateral thigh fat, are larger & may do better as fat graft to pressured areas such as the buttocks
Answered on Nov 7, 2015
1
Dr. Azita Madjidi
29 years experience Plastic Surgery
More stem cells: lower belly fat has more stem cells and is more rebellious than other parts of the body. Therefore it has better longevity and quality.
Answered on Jan 5, 2019