Richardson, TX

Started saphris (asenapine) april 1st, a week ago it stopped working, it was increased from 10 to 15 mgs yesterday, when will i get relief?

Dr. Jane Steiner
Relief of what?: Saphris (asenapine) is approved in bipolar disorder and in schizophrenia, with different dosages recommended for each. What are you taking it for? I don't know that it will help depression on its own; I think the answer to your question depends on what you are hoping to get from it.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
How you taking it?: If you're taking the medication twice daily then, time to achieve steady state concentrations is about 3 days. Same holds true for time to new serum levels with dose increases that you mention. Don't be afraid to let your doctor know that you're not getting the effect you're looking for if symptoms persist. Be aware that Saphris (asenapine) can make Metformin less effective (i.e. raise blood sugar).