how do arteriovenous malformations damage the brain and spinal cord?

Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine 41 years experience
Hemorrhage: Most of the damage of an arteriovenous malformation occurs when the blood vessel or vessels are spontaneously ruptured and bleed into the brain, causing pressure and damage to the brain. The same can occur with an av malformation in the brain stem or spine.
Neurology 52 years experience
Multiple ways: The avm can compress nearby tissue and cause a stroke, or interfere with blood flow and also create tissue damage. If rupture occurs there can be a subarachnoid hemorrhage, with both local and more widespread problems. Brain avm's may cause seizures. Small avm's are unlikely to be an issue, but rarely, the ones in the spinal cord can cause paralysis.