i got some nicorette (nicotine gum) gum to help me stop smoking. the package says i need to quit smoking before i start i?

Dr. Susan Woods
Not really: You can start using nicotine gum whenever you want. The key is to use it correctly - use it when you need it and chew it and "park" it between your teeth and cheek. If you smoke and use gum, then you're you're not really quitting, right? But, you may find that gum helps you smoke less and less, then not want to smoke at all. If you see that you can go a day or more withou a smoke, you can do more!
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
In general yes: but it is not an absolute. Many people use the gum or lozenges just to cut down, or to help themselves when they are in an airplane or at a movie. What it means is that you should not do BOTH - smoke while using the gum or patches, because it can cause much higher blood/brain levels of nicotine, and can cause serious side effects. There have been heart attacks in people smoking on top of gum/patch