how can i recover my lungs from smoking?

2 doctor answers1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Stop smoking for one: There is no evidence that anything other than time and continuing to be smoke-free is necessary for lungs to heal. Am sure that a healthy diet and exercise will help you feel better sooner. It is quite common for a productive cough to begin after people stop smoking, since the lungs are getting rid of all the junk that has been put in them by smoking. This resolves in several weeks to months.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Stop smoking: If you mean how can you help your lungs recover from smoking. You can't help anybody elses' lungs recover, so am not sure what you mean. When people stop smoking, it may take many months to clear out the "crud" accumulating in the bronchial passages, but they will eventually clear out. Nothing speeds this process, and it won't happen unless you stop or cut down significantly on smoking.