is there any link between diabetes and hypertension?

Dr. Richard Scofield
Diabetology 33 years experience
Yes: Hypertension and diabetes are frequently seen together. In fact, having hypertension significantly increases your risk of developing diabetes. The two together potentiate the risk for developing advanced atherosclerotic disease (that leads to heart attacks and strokes) and kidney damage.
Dr. William Haynes
Endocrinology 37 years experience
Yes: There is an increased risk of hypertension in patients with diabetes. This may relate to the increased incidence of obesity and lack of exercise in many patients with diabetes. Also, even slightly elevated blood pressure can damage the kidneys and heart in patients with diabetes. So most physicians recommend antihypertensive treatments even at slightly elevated BP in patients with diabetes.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Yes: There is a higher incidence of hypertension in diabetics.