could mirena (levonorgestrel) iud cause weight gain?

Dr. Laura Parks
Not usually: The Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud releases a small amount of Progesterone on a daily basis. There is no significant weight gain associated with it.
Dr. Erinn Huffman
No: The Mirena (levonorgestrel) uses a very small amount of Progesterone that only affects the uterus and cervical mucus. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) is not associated with weight gain because it does not affect other parts of the body.
Dr. Brian Nguyen
No: The IUD, whether it's hormonal or copper, is one of the safest and most effective methods of birth control that you can use. It's long-lasting, reversible, and b/c it's made to work inside the uterus, it doesn't cause systemic side effects, like weight gain.
Dr. Stephen Sudler
Yes, but uncommon: Less than 5% of Mirena (levonorgestrel) patients report weight gain per fda data.