United Kingdom

hi. i have recently had surgery on my eye as i had a detached retina. i work on the roads so it can be a lot of lifting. what's the recovery time?

Dr. Colin McCannel
Retinal Surgery 30 years experience
Depends: The recovery tome following retinal reattachment surgery varies by procedure and surgeon preference. I would suggest you discuss this with the surgeon or their office. In general, restrictions are for a few days to a few weeks. For me, if you had a vitrectomy surgery plan to take it easy (no heavy lifting) for 1-2 weeks, for a scleral buckle a few days are fine.
Dr. Christopher Gee
Retinal Surgery 15 years experience
Talk to your surgeon: It depends on the surgery that you had. It also depends on the type of detachment and location of the detachment. I usually tell my patients to plan on at least 1 week off, and sometime it may be longer. Talk to your surgeon.