Oshkosh, WI
A 21-year-old female asked about a 22-year-old male:

My boyfriend's mom has huntingtons disease. what are the chances he could have it? could our children get it?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Huntington Disease: Is inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern. Each child of a parent with the faulty gene on chromosome 4p16.3.Has a 50% chance of having it. If your boyfriend has the gene, each of his children has a 50% chance of having it. If he chooses to get the genetic test that is available for huntington disease & the test is positive, resources are on https://www.Hdsa.Org.
Dr. Ryan Phasouk
I agree with Dr Fricke. Such a terrible disease. You and your boyfriend may find it best to work with a genetic counselor as there can be many sensitive matters to be discussed in this scenario.
Apr 4, 2014
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Provided original answer
And I agree with you...There are so many ramifications of having a positive test, not the least of which is having to cope with its significance for the patient & his offspring, that the young man & his partner may wish to seek genetic counseling as a couple.
Apr 4, 2014
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Genetic testing: There certainly is a chance that both your boyfriend as well as your children could carry the genetic defect and express it. Best overall way to tell who of the progeny are at risk is to perform genetic testing but speak to a geneticist and/or genetics counselor before doing any definitive testing.
Dr. Ryan Phasouk
I agree, a genetic counselor can help sort through the sensitive issues/ethical dilemmas. Great advice, Dr Saghafi.
Apr 4, 2014

Last updated Sep 4, 2014