U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 53-year-old female asked:

I was told i have severe osteoporosis but it was a mistake, spine is -2.3 should i continue taking strontum r ? i only have one kidney and am worried.

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 41 years experience
Strontium is sold: Over the counter in us but is regulated in europe. It is a mineral. Talk w/your doc. He/she may suggest calcium w/cofactors such as d, biron, etc. Peace and good health.
Dr. Alan Feldman
42 years experience
Osteopenia: It sounds like you have osteopenia. Unless you have had a previous fracture, at your age, it is unlikely that you would have a frax score to support using a drug for treating your bones. Are you referring to strontium ranelate? This is available in europe not the us. Strontium supplements in the us are not the same and have no data to support that they are effective for osteoporosis.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 14, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.