i take bcp. i was on minocycline for 1 week and was taking my bcp the entire time. do i have 2 wait 7 days for bcp 2 work again? i only waited 6 days

Dr. Martin Raff
55 years experience Infectious Disease
Pregnant?: If you miss your period get a home pregnancy kit and test yourself. You will probably be fine, but there is no other way to tell.
Answered on Apr 3, 2014
2
2 comments
1
Dr. Marisa Johnson
Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis
The only antibiotic that has been shown to decrease estradiol and progestin levels in women taking oral contraceptives is Rifampin, so you should be safe. If you are in doubt I concur with taking a home pregnancy test.
Apr 2, 2014
Dr. Ryan Phasouk
I agree with Dr Raff, you are probably fine. In fact, most of the evidence that birth control pills were affected by antibiotics is anecdotal with the exception of an antibiotic called Rifampin. It is not thought that most all other antibiotics, such as minocycline, will not exert any negative effects on a birth control pill.
Apr 2, 2014