FL

a root canal is necessary on a tooth next to one that is holding a bridge of 6 teeth. both teeth on either side of the bridge have to be extracted and implants will be put in. what do i do first?

Dr. Marius Frasie
DENTIST WILL ...: The dentist taking care of you should be able to tell you that . I would think extraction first then implants, but.. I'm not the dentist.
Dr. Peter Karsant
Dentistry 39 years experience
RCT: I would do the root canal first to be sure there is no untreated source of infection before the implants are placed. Consult your dentist.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Treatment plan: This needs to be determined by the dentist treating you based upon your specific circumstances. Is the tooth infected? Are you in pain? Is the bridge a front or back one? There are many ways to address these issues and no one "right" answer.
Dr. Don Millner
Cosmetic Dentistry 43 years experience
Root canal first?: Most treatment plans would suggest a root canal first on a infected tooth that adjoins a potential implant site. It is possible that this tooth may need to be extracted too and more implants placed and/or it's infection may hamper the placement of implants or bone grafts for future implants. All bets are off if this is in the smile zone. Then your dentist will have to deal with esthetics too.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 43 years experience
Root canal first: The root canal should be done first because one of the few reasons that implants fail to integrate is an infection next to the surgical site. You obviously want to maximize the success of your dental treatment, so root canal first followed by your implant placement.