i'm having pain in the upper right side of my mouth behind my teeth where my jaw opens and closes. hurts when i move my jaw for anything or swallow.

4 doctor answers
Dr. Manami Yamaguchi
24 years experience Dentistry
Check TMJ: It sounds like the pain is in the TMJ (joint). Without proper examination, it is hard to tell why you are having this problem. For now, take your choice of anti-inflammatory pain medicine, if your medical history permits. A local pharmacist may help you. Stay on a soft diet to reduce stress on the joint. Have your dentist examine the area and ask for an appropriate referral if pain continues.
Answered on Mar 23, 2015
1
1
Dr. Russell Chin
44 years experience Dentistry
Did you ever hear a lot of noise when you opened an d closed like popping and grating noises? Did your jaw ever lock open or closed? Do you notice you can't open as wide as you used to? If yes you have a TMJ PROBLEM with a probable displaced disc.
Mar 30, 2014
Dr. David Ostreicher
Specializes in Orthodontics
Wisdom teeth: This sounds like it could be inflammation caused by wisdom teeth erupting. See your dentist to check it out.
Answered on Jul 9, 2015
2
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
49 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
TMJ/Muscle Problems: You may also have a TMJ or muscle dysfunction problem that is getting worse. There are times that a bionator (one type of function orthopedic appliance) may be of great help especially when using for sleeping as well as when you can during the day. This tends to retrain and heal the muscles to help them function normally. Find a dentist that is familiar with TMJ ; use of a bionator.
Answered on Mar 23, 2015
Dr. Louis Gallia
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
TMJ or teeth: Could be a TMJ disorder or in your age category a wisdom tooth. See an oral surgeon to sort things out.
Answered on Mar 23, 2015