How long can someone with neurofibromatosis type 2 live?

Dr. James Goodrich
Neurosurgery 39 years experience
Neurofibromatosis: It depends on how severely affected the patient is with the disorder. The earlier the diagnosis and the most number of lesions and location (particularly in the spine and brain) diagnosed can affect how long someone will live. In my practice I have adults doing well in the midlife yet have lost patients to the disorder as teenagers so it is very variable.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 52 years experience
50-60 yrs usually: Life expectancy of individuals with NF2 lower than the average person.Lower mortality number is the results of issues that arise as tumors grow within the brain and along the spine. As tumors grow; the brain, nerves and muscles weaken,affecting the whole body along the way. Recovery after treatments from brain and spine tumors becomes harder and harder, as some individuals with many surgeries.