U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Rose City, MI
A 34-year-old female asked:

is histamine intolerance medically recognized? are there any standard tests i should ask for? reactions to lots of foods, but reg allergy testing neg.

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
No: This is not a recognized condition but i would presume that some people are more sensitive to the action of histamine than others as with any other chemical mediators. If you have negative allergy skin test to foods, the best way to find out would be a double-blind food challenge to confirm the suspicion under the supervision of a board certified allergist. Not all food reactions are allergic.
Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Allergy and Immunology
Not histamine: Histamine is the chemical that our body releases in response to allergy. It causes itching, redness and swelling of skin etc. You don't describe your reactions, so i can't comment whether i would consider them allergy. From your gtt, i suspect that you are overweight or obese and pre-diabetic, with high levels of insulin. See an endocrinologist, not allergist.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A member asked:

If my child has not had an adverse reaction to a vaccine, can I be sure he will not have one in the future?

8 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Coogan
Pediatrics 48 years experience
No: Any medicine or procedure has inherent risks and benefits. However, the actual risk of an vaccine adverse event happening is very small. Nevertheless, if you think your child may have had an adverse event following immunization, let your doctor know, develop a plan of action with her, and consider whether to report it to the vaers. Website: http://www.Cdc.Gov/vaccinesafety/activities/vaers.Html.
A 27-year-old member asked:

How can I handle mild food allergies in my infant?

6 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Allergy and Immunology 19 years experience
Avoidance: For food allergies, avoidance is the best option. However, if the food is a nutritionally important food such as milk or wheat, it may be best to be tested to make sure. An allergist can help decide if you child has a food allergy, give tips on avoidance, prescribe an epi pen for severe allergies, and decide when to test if the food allergy is decreasing since some are outgrown.
A 36-year-old member asked:

What could cause me to have no reflex reactions in the soles of my feet, ankles or calves?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eric Lullove
Podiatry 19 years experience
Loss : Loss of automatic reflexes are usually associated with spinal cord injuries and/or severe peripheral nerve fiber loss. The fact that you have no reflex reactions is puzzlesome, and you might actually have them and not know it.
A 28-year-old male asked:

How do I cure my allergy, suffering from allergic rhinitis for the last 10 yrs, with high eosinophil count constantly. I get bouts 2-3 times a week?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 46 years experience
Long term affliction: The 3 primary approaches to allergy are: avoid -find out what & avoid, supress:use allergy med to reduce sx & retrain: use allergy shots to retrain your system not to react to offending agents. Allergy testing can give you an idea about your triggers & an allergist can advise you on allergy shots. Many otc allergy meds are available. If you smoke or have other irritant exposures they must also be.
A 37-year-old member asked:

What can I eat if I have oral allergy syndrome and fructose malabsorption?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allergy and Immunology 44 years experience
Avoid fruit: But you can eat meat, fish, fowl, starches, grains, dairy, eggs, all cooked vegetables, some raw vegetables, oils, spices. You'll want to avoid most fruit.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Mar 29, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.