Rose City, MI

is histamine intolerance medically recognized? are there any standard tests i should ask for? reactions to lots of foods, but reg allergy testing neg.

Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
No: This is not a recognized condition but i would presume that some people are more sensitive to the action of histamine than others as with any other chemical mediators. If you have negative allergy skin test to foods, the best way to find out would be a double-blind food challenge to confirm the suspicion under the supervision of a board certified allergist. Not all food reactions are allergic.
Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Allergy and Immunology
Not histamine: Histamine is the chemical that our body releases in response to allergy. It causes itching, redness and swelling of skin etc. You don't describe your reactions, so i can't comment whether i would consider them allergy. From your gtt, i suspect that you are overweight or obese and pre-diabetic, with high levels of insulin. See an endocrinologist, not allergist.