canyou take cephalexin to treat pinguecula?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Ester Kwok
Generally no: Pinguecula is usually caused by uv radiation. Cephalexin, which is an antibiotic, is not used to treat pingueculas per se, unless one has an associated infection, but even then, one might be prescribed an antibiotic in the form of an eye drop, rather than an oral antibiotic. See comment below.
Answered on Jun 17, 2020
1
2
Dr. Ester Kwok
Dr. Ester Kwok commented
Provided original answer
After answering another question about pinguecula, I realized that perhaps the wrong terminology is being used? Pinguecula is a fibrous overgrowth on the whites of one's eye. keflex can be used to treat a stye or chalazion, which are pimple-like infections near the eyelid.
Jun 11, 2012
Dr. Michael Ham
27 years experience Ophthalmology
No: A pinguecula, which is a deposit/build up on the white part of the eye (sclera) due to uv light and dryness of the eyes. You can use artificial tears, and use a cap and/or sunglasses when outdoors. If it gets large, constantly irritated (red), or grows over the cornea, you may need medicated drops or surgery.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
Dr. Richard Bensinger
52 years experience Ophthalmology
No effect: Pingueclua are a normal response to wind, dust and uv light. They are the eyes defense in the middle years to these external forces. They have no symptoms and are usually unnoticed. No antibiotic will have any effect on this normal growth.
Answered on Jan 4, 2015