Amsterdam, NY

I had hernia repair surgery on the 11th my stomach was nice and soft but now its hard as rock again in the same spot the hernia was?

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
General Surgery 40 years experience
Not surprising: You've had a technical repair of a weak spot in your abdominal wall, either with primary suturing or, more likely, some form of graft repair. The body reacts to this via inflammation, and induration is quite common. You may also have a seroma in the pocket the hernia contents formed in the subcutaneous tissue. Don't fret. Discuss with your surgeon at your next visit. Should dissipate. Good luck.
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 31 years experience
Probably normal: It is common to have a firm area under the incision. This is called the healing ridge, and is due to the proliferative phase of wound healing. Will go away in several weeks. Be sure to see your surgeon for a post operative visit. Hope this helps!

Last updated Apr 1, 2014