Canada

I had asthma when i was a kid. haven't had it in 20 years roughly. can it come back as an adult?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Yes/PFTs: Asthma has different forms and triggers. In addition, your smoking history can contribute to the development of obstructive lung disease. During childhood typical triggers may include for example dust, mold, pollens. I would suggest obtaining a pulmonary function test with and without albuterol from your doctor. It is important to quit smoking if you are experiencing respiratory difficulty.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Yes: In fact , a high percentage of adults experience recurrence after their late 20's although it is not a certainty.
Dr. John Munshower
It may: But staying healthy at a good weight and healthy bmi, and never smoking will help give you the best chances of avoiding its return. Stay well.

Last updated Jan 17, 2017