familiar with the whipple procedure pancreaticoduodenectomy?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
36 years experience Hematology and Oncology
Yes: This procedure is most commonly done in an attempt to cure pancreatic cancer.
Answered on Jul 20, 2012
Dr. Eric Whitman
35 years experience Surgical Oncology
Pancreas cancer surg: This procedure is most often used to treat cancer in the "head" of the pancreas. It involves removing about half of the pancreas then reattaching the liver (bile ducts) and remaining pancreas to the intestines. There are multiple ways to actually do the surgery in terms of how the various organs are re-attached.
Answered on Dec 31, 2019
1
Dr. Cosme Manzarbeitia
38 years experience General Surgery
Yes: I perform about one a week, and have performed over 100 in my career. It is a complex operation lasting about 4 hours.
Answered on Dec 31, 2019
1
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr commented
43 years experience Surgical Oncology
You are pretty fast. I don't do them anymore, but several series in the medical literature quote operative times of 6-8 hours. A lot depends on the institution you are in, whether you are assisted by another trained surgeon or residents, etc. In general, complication rate is not determined by the speed of the operation.
Jul 25, 2012