At what age should a child start seeing a dentist for dental cleaning?

Dr. Mark Diamond
Different Opinions: Somewhat controversial. The pediatric dentist's society recommends dental care as early as 6 mos/a. In our community, most pediatricians suggest beginning care between 2-3 y/o unless there is a problem.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
I disagree. How do you know there is a problem? The child is in pain? they have a draining abscess,? Their teeth start to turn brown? They get fussy, won't eat, cry? Would you not take your child to the Pediatrician until they were 2-3. Please go to dentist (preferably Pedodontist) as soon as 1st tooth erupts, but no later than Age 1.
May 7, 2013
Dr. Mark Diamond
Provided original answer
I would not disagree,but show me some data that the cost- benefit is there. I have 38 yrs experience and have yet to have a problem dental-wise that I have missed on my exams in pediatric office.And all of our local pediatric dentists disagree with regular exams at 1st eruption.
May 7, 2013
Dr. Mark Diamond
Provided original answer
.And "most of all so the baby gets used to dental visits and treats them as fun and routine" !!!! Please !!!
May 7, 2013
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 12 years experience
1yr: At age 1 is the recommendation. Do not wait until 3. I have done fillings on 2 year olds...Not fun. Get them in early, for your education and to help your child build positive experiences with the dentist so that if/when treatment is needed it is not so scarey for the child. I wouldn't expect decay at age 1 but it does happen by age 2. Some dentists will tell you 3 or even 5...That is wrong.
Dr. Mark Diamond
May 7, 2013
Dr. Mark Diamond
Get in early for positive experiences? Rather expensive,eh.
May 7, 2013
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
1st tooth: The moment there's something to clean. Go no later than age 1 for check of dentitional development, jaw development, examination, cleaning, oral hygiene instruction, diet advice, Fluoride management, and most of all so the baby gets used to dental visits and treats them as fun and routine.
Dr. Mark Diamond
I would not disagree,but show me some data that the cost- benefit is there. I have 38 yrs experience and have yet to have a problem dental-wise that I have missed on my exams in pediatric office.And all of our local pediatric dentists disagree with regular exams at 1st eruption.And "most of all so the baby gets used to dental visits and treats them as fun and routine" !!!! Please !!!
May 7, 2013

Last updated Dec 17, 2014