Australia

how do you know if a small piece of nail was left inside during ingrown toenail surgery can you see the small piece? what are the symptoms?

Dr. Ellen Turner
Dermatology 20 years experience
Depends how big.: It really depends on whether the residual nail piece is larger enough to see with the naked eye. What you may be having is a really inflammatory response to a traumatic procedure such as nail avulsion (toenail removal). I would always recommend seeing the surgeon who performed the procedure if there are questions regarding post-operative complications.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Have it looked at.: The ingrown nail may not be visible. I you continue to have pain or signs of infection have it re-evaluated as there may be a piece left behind.