Spring Valley, CA

i had a tooth extraction & they put medication in the hole to prevent dry socket. is it normal to taste the medication over a couple of days?

Dr. Peter Karsant
Dentistry 39 years experience
Tooth Socket: Usually the 'medication' placed in sockets is a product that helps a clot form however it has no taste. This may be the start of an infection or you may have food debris caught in the socket. Please have your dentist check the area and be sure to rinse with salt water to help keep the area clean after eating.
Dr. Robert Chin
Dentistry 42 years experience
Extraction : It is possible to taste the medication after the treatment. If you feel that there is excessive taste, call your dentist for a followup to check the site out.
Dr. Daniel Quon
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 42 years experience
Yes: Some medications that are placed in the socket can slowly dissolve over time, so it may not be uncommon. Check with you dentist to confirm this.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
It is normal: The medication will alleviate the pain, and it is normal to taste the medication over a couple of days. Take care.