United Kingdom (Great Britain)

ha tmj jaw spasm issues - seem to be improving but now getting pain in shoulders and neck. linked? bad sign? could it be arthritis?

Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry 41 years experience
Structural damage: Sleep bruxism is a parafunctional activity that occurs in nearly all people. It is simply night-time clenching or grinding of the teeth. Bruxism can cause significant damage to the teeth and tmj. It can be reponsible for tension type neck ; shoulder symptoms. It is best managed with a custom fitted nightime splint that if designed well can minimize or eliminate all of these effects.
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
Dentistry 51 years experience
TMJ pain: Bruxism (chronic grinding and/or clenching the teeth) occurs mostly at night, but also often during the day as it is an unconscious habit. It is usually a stress related habit, but also occurs from a bad bite. It can cause headaches, migraines, and related pain in the ears, neck and shoulders. See your dentist for diagnosis and treatment, usually a nightguard or nti device.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Jaw spasms?: Need to have more information. Is your mandible quivering or is it muscle pain? Is it on both sides or one? When does this happen, severity, duration, frequency? You need to see a dr. Who then may run some tests and then possibly get you to a dentist and/or tmj/tmd specialist.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Possible: Might be linked. TMJ problems with muscle spasms often have the spasms extend to neck and shoulders. See a TMJ specialist. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.