please tell me, could a 13 year old have breast cancer?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
34 years experience Medical Oncology
Very unlikely...: ..But not impossible. I remember seeing a news report about a 10 year old girl who had breast cancer a few years ago. I do not know if it was the usual breast cancer seen in older women but she had it nonetheless. Again, it would be extremely improbable, but any abnormality in the breast of a woman or girl should be evaluated properly.
Answered on Feb 4, 2014
Dr. Charles Breaux
38 years experience Pediatric Surgery
Not likely: Although possible, breast cancer is rare in premenopausal women, and it is extremely, extremely rare in teenagers. In a teenage girl, a breast lump is more likely maturing breast tissue, or a benign mass, such as a fibroadenoma or fibrocystic disease. If there is a concern, she should see her primary care physician; if the physician is concerned, referral to a surgeon would be in order.
Answered on Feb 4, 2014