does celiac disease cause weight gain? after i cut out gluten i lost 6 pounds and felt much stronger, and less tired. also is this loss permanent?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Oscar Novick
57 years experience Pediatrics
Weight loss: The weight loss can be permanent your gluten free diet has relieved you of the symptoms caused by eating glutein.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Dr. David Fink
Very likely: I've known of people with celiac disease who had difficulty losing weight. When they stopped consuming gluten, they lost weight, stopped feeling bloated, and more energetic as you have noticed. As long as you avoid gluten, the lost weight should stay off (unless due to something else).
Answered on Jan 29, 2014