Saudi Arabia

i'm 24 years old, is it harmful using deodorant as my mother died because of breast cancer at age 45? i heard deodorant causes/ leads breast cancer

Pathology 44 years experience
It doesn't: I actually traced down that story when it came out as an e-mail. It was made up by a guy who was trying to sell a "natural" deodorant. If you don't use deodorant, you can end up losing your job and they don't tell you the real reason. Don't let a shameless liar ruin your life. <a href="http://www.Pathguy.Com/antipers.Htm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.Pathguy.Co.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
An excellent answer
Jan 20, 2014
Dr. Joshua Garren
Radiation Oncology 24 years experience
Not at all: I am so sorry to hear about your mother. That must have been extremely difficult for you. It is still ok to use deodorant. Do make sure that you examine your breasts regularly, and insist that your doctor do the same. Even in the us, doctors are often too perfunctory in their breast examinations. With a family history of early breast cancer, you cannot afford that.
Pathology 44 years experience
Thanks Dr. Garren. When I was in medical school, I always took some time to talk with female patients about breast-self exam, and they would often say that I was the only physician who had ever done so. Even in this age of high technology, I believe this is still the greatest potential life-saver.
Jan 22, 2014
Dr. Dario Perez
Specializes in General Surgery
Frequent self breast: There is no clinical evidence that deodorant can cause breast cancer. Your mother died at age 45 of breast cancer and will be critical for you to have a close follow up. You need to be tested for brca-1, brca2 and have initial examination of your breast including imaging and a baseline MRI with contrast.When possible.

Last updated Dec 1, 2014