can you tell me about my pterygium in my left eye?

Dr. Kurt Andreason
LASIK Surgery 23 years experience
Pterygium: It is hard to tell you about it if you don't tell me more about it. A pterygium is a thin, wing-like growth from the edge of the conjunctiva onto the cornea. Many people get them, especially in sunny places. Eye mds (ophthalmologists) usually don't remove them until they cause bothersome symptoms, astigmatic vision changes, or begin to encroach on the pupil because they can recurr agressively.
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology 25 years experience
Pterygium: Pterygium:very common, abnormal growth of clear covering (conjunctiva) of white part of the eye (sclera) over the cornea (window of the eye). If severe and causing discomfort or red, it can be removed with surgery. It is generally benign. It is due to excess sun/UV exposure usually. Prevention is only remedy. Avoid sun (sunglasses, hat); avoid smoking. Natural rx info: see eyedoc2020.blogspot.com
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Eye growth: Pterygia are a benign growth which sometimes will exuberantly march across the cornea and affect the vision. They can sometimes get quite red and irritate the eye. There is a slightly higher risk in the left eye due to the position of drives sitting on the left side of vehicles with the light, wind and dust streaming in on that side.