irrational fear of needles and shots- can i ever overcome it? what about taking a pill before each shot visit?

Dr. Colin Kerr
Fear of needles: If the fear is there, it is usually automatic. You are not really in control of it, so plan appropriately. For some people numbing medicines like Emla (lidocaine and prilocaine) cream eliminate the pain and gets rid of the fear. Sometimes the fear is not about the pain, and a sedative or anti-anxiety medication may help. For most people it is not worth the trouble or expense to do formal phobia desensitization techniques.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Yes: I've had patients threaten to kill themselves if they had to get a shot. With patients and good psychotherapeutic technique (we used hypnosis) the patient was able to work through this successfully.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
CBT: Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias. One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.