Elkins, Arkansas

Had ct scan w/o contrast of kidneys to check for kidney stones and it came back normal. would tumors and cysts also have shown up on the ct scan i had?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Yes: Ct scans should detect tumors and cysts of the kidneys.
Dr. Gregory Lewis
Urology 45 years experience
Yes: Ct scan of the kidneys with IV contrast is the procedure of choice for evaluating renal masses: cysts and tumors (benign and malignant). Renal ultrasound and MRI also used.
Dr. Michael Michaels
Urology 54 years experience
Yes but: Kidney tumors and cysts will show on a non-contast CT scan.However if there is a hyperdense cyst(due to hemorrhagic proteinaceous material in it) it cannot be distinguished from tumor without contrast. When contrast is given,a tumor will enhance(it will appear white)but a cyst will not enhance.I don't think you need to worry about tumor at age 33.Extremely rare.I'm glad you had no stones.

Last updated Mar 12, 2020