hi doctors, was just wondering what is a cataract and when are they required to be operated on?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Lens opacity: A cataract is a change in the light transmission due to loss of transparency of the lens structure. This is mostly an age related issue but there are other causes for cataract in an earlier age. Removal is recommended when the cataract advances to the point of functional disturbance to vision.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Clouding of the lens: Cataract is when the natural lens inside the eye becomes cloudy or opaque. Treatment is indicated if it is affecting your ability to see and perform normal activities of daily living. The clouding usually starts in the late 50's and surgery is usually indicated in the late 60's - 70 years of age.
Dr. Constance Okeke
Ophthalmology 21 years experience
Cloudy lens: A cataract is a cloudy lens that is a normal phenomenon that occurs with aging. When we are born our natural lens is clear but becomes hazy and cloudy over time. When it becomes cloudy enough to inhibit our regular activities, we consider it visually significant and offer a cataract surgery to remove it and replace with an intraocular lens.