Lake Oswego, OR

i take 20mg citalopram a day, is it ok to take this medication along with the 20mg of omeprazole i am prescribed daily, i am. 20 year old male?

Dr. Krishna Kumar
Citalopram: Citalopram is used for treatment of depression. Omeprazole is used for treatment of hyperacidity which can be due to stress or alcohol use. Combining these medications may increase the blood levels of citalopram and increase the risk of n side effects, please see psychiatrist for dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use of both, or discontinuing omeprazole.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Yes and No.: There is a drug interaction between the two meds involving the cyp2c19 enzyme. This may or may not be clinically significant. Switching the Omeprazole to another ppi might be the safest thing although if you have been taking this for a while i suspect you will be fine in the future as well.