what is a good medical job for someone with high functioning autism?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Donald Jacobson
39 years experience Psychiatry
If you can work: With people, a lot. Would be dependent upon what it is that you personally want to do. Are you able to write well. Do you suffer from seizures, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, anger outbursts, or difficulty in one-on-one communication. Do you have uncontrolled add or adhd. Are you able to reason well with people. Can you maintain good eye contact. Do you have any difficulties in the areas of manual or physical dexterity.If you truly are interested in a job in the medical field, i would recommend that you work closely with your autism counselors and have them bethe source of information for you in this regard.You can certainly elicit the help of vocational counselors as well. Best wishes to you.
Answered on Dec 29, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
Informatics: Medical informatics might be a good fit for someone seeking medical work that isn't heavily interactive with the public. Medical informatics helps doctors and other healthcare personnel create ; manage medical records and other highly sensitive data, in caring for patients. The field is more and more needed in running hospital systems too.
Answered on Jan 3, 2014