what are effective natural remedies for body lice? will shaving all hair get rid of all lice?

??Vinegar??: The idea of shaving off all your hair is interesting. True, lice lay eggs on the shaft of hair as a convenience & without hair u could probably see the lice easier & pick them off. But too drastic.Vinegar can loosen the egg casings & help prevent a new crop from coming out.Most otc meds are bug spray in lotion form & work best when applied to dry hair.Combine the otc + vinegar washes daily x wk.
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Body lice: You can usually get rid of body lice by cleaning yourself and any personal belongings that may be contaminated. Wash infested bedding, clothing and towels with hot, soapy water — at least 130 f (54 c) — and dry them at high heat for at least 20 minutes. Items that can't be washed may be sealed in a plastic bag for two weeks.
Dr. James Eitner
Mayonnaise: As far as natural remedies, I have had good luck with old fashioned mayonnaise. Cover the area of the body infested with the mayonnaise, making sure to work it in well. Cover with a shower cap overnight. Wash out in the morning and rinse with vinegar, using a nit comb to remove any remaining nits.
Don't need to shave: Natural remedies for lice include the application of olive oil, petroleum jelly, mineral oil or mayonnaise to the head/ hair. These oil-based products smother the louse. However, there is no research to demonstrate treatment efficacy. Wash clothing or linens in hot water. Soak personal items like combs or brushes in hot water for at least 10 minutes (or throw them out if this is an option).
Provided original answer
Vacuum floors, carpets, mattresses, upholstered furniture & your vehicles.
May 24, 2013
Pathology 44 years experience
You want 'natural'?: You'd rather shave off all of somebody's hair than use 'a chemical'? If it makes you feel better, the most popular agent to kill lice over the past 50 years (pyrethin) comes straight from chrysanthemums (pyrethin 'mum' in the picture). You're wise to be suspicious of artificial chemicals, but in this case, I think your fears are misplaced. I hope your treatment proves effective. Best wishes.