U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Raleigh, NC
A 50-year-old female asked:

My mom got a blood disease called polycythemia vera. may i know the price for interferon-alpha which can be used to cure this disease. also could you recommend me some brand of this medicine?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Deborah Sculco
Hematology and Oncology 37 years experience
Not D.O.C: Unfortunately, p. Vera is not curable by today's standards. Ifn-alpha would not be the drug of choice. Treatment is phlebotomy to maintain hct = to 45. Baby asa and drug call Hydrea (hydroxyurea) to control WBC or platelets if they are increased. Ifn can be used but it usually used in younger pregnant females. Hydrea (hydroxyurea) much better tolerated, esp in elderly populations.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctoranswered
undefined 40 years experience
There are 4 types of: Interferon. Alfacon 1, alfa 2, beta 1 and beta 2. Also need to know dose and frequency of administration. Please resubmit your question with this information. Thanks.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
She needs a speciali: A good specialist is what she needs first. You should seek the advice of a hematologist who works in a major cancer center. P. Vera has some new treatments(jak2 inhibitors) which are in clinical trials. Interferon( has some activity and can be beneficial but it is an older treatment which has many serious side effects and it is very expensive .Too alpha-2b) also called introna) ask for this bran.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 29, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.