i've developed mono and my boyfriend i believe was a carrier and never knew, can he still catch it from me if he's a carrier?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Martin Raff
56 years experience Infectious Disease
No: He already has the virus. Reactivation is possible but uncommon.
Answered on Apr 10, 2017
1
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park answered
50 years experience Pediatrics
No: There is no real "carrier" of eb virus (causative organism of infectious mono), however, anyone infected by this virus excretes virus intermittently lifelong. Currently, approximately 90% of us adults have been infected.
Answered on Apr 10, 2017
1
1
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff commented
56 years experience Infectious Disease
This depends upon what you mean by "carrier". Once you have been infected you carry the virus in your body the rest of your life, and as Dr. Park points out, when shedding virus intermittently it can be transmitted to others.
Dec 19, 2013
46 years experience Pediatrics
No: This does not pass back and forth like strep throat or similar bacterial illnesses. You get it once and you are done. Mono is passed in saliva, like a cold. You could have picked it up in any public space, supermarket, school, etc. All it takes is you touching a surface contaminated with the germ and then touching your face. Happens 6X/hr in most adults. BF doesn't deserve to be in the doghouse.
Answered on Apr 10, 2017