is there a connection between anxiety and stuttering, stammering?

Dr. Jay Lefer
A difference: Anxiety does create a hesitation in speech that resembles suffering, however, stuttering and stammering, a speech impediment starts in childhood and may well be related to the mother-child relationship, an anxious mother transmits her anxiety as the child is learning to speak. Psychiatric treatment reveals that hostile feeling can cause stuttering.
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology 42 years experience
You can obtain useful information and the latest research on stutteringhelp.org.
Nov 11, 2018
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Child Psychiatry 44 years experience
Yes and no.: Anxiety can produce stuttering - & stuttering certainly produces anxiety. But speech dysfluencies can &often do exist independently of underlying anxiety. To me, stuttering is one of the more difficult conditions to treat. And it can be heartbreaking. A comprehensive approach is essential. Too often, meds are not considered, but they should be, if only for the secondary anxiety involved.