how does a loud snorer not wake up from the noisy snoring?

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Sleep Medicine 18 years experience
Environment: During sleep both rem and nrem there is decreased auditory input from our environment. Noises that would normally be disturbing are not heard. This is the same for other noises. Now if person is in a sleep transition or light sleep, oftentimes the person will wake up but not necessarily be aware that it is from snoring noise.
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Wake Up Snoring: Loud snorers often do "wake up", but not due to the loudness of the snoring, but due to dropping oxygen in the blood. The wakes don't have to mean fully awake, but more commonly involve tossing and turning, especially if the snoring leads to reduction of airflow for more than ten seconds. Go see your doctor.