PA

Seems cymbalta (duloxetine) is hit or miss with bipolar...is that the way for any ssri/.snri...use them for ocd....yea i know cbt do that also...still need a med?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
So many Rx's!!!: Your Lamictal is one of the best drugs for bipolar. Possibly your tegretol is aiming at that too. I am particularly sensitive to dangers of polypharmacology in my patients - especially if they still feel bad with all these meds. I begin to think they may be making matters worse. Here's a top 5 list for bipolar: http://www.Newsmax.Com/fastfeatures/bipolar-disorder-drugs-bipolar/2011/02/22/id/387026.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Not necessarily : It sounds like you've been around the block a few times. Ocd in bipolar disorder is notoriously difficult to manage. The double bind for the psychiatrist is to come up with an antidepressant that is strong enough to control your ocd without throwing you into a mixed mood state or into mania or rapid cycling. You undoubtedly already have been on most of the ssris or your doctor would not be trying cymbalta (duloxetine).We try whatever we can to keep your mood stable and control your ocd. There is some method to this madness. However, if youare treatment resistant then off label use of medication becomes common and Cymbalta (duloxetine) is certainly worth a try and spite of the lack of literature to back it up.I truly hope you feel better soon. Continue with your psychotherapy.You probably already have the patience of job.Best wishes and i hope you feel better as you enter into this holiday season.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Thank you Dr Jacobson for all the kind information you added.
Dec 7, 2013
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
And thank you for your kind comment Dr. Weixel.
Dec 7, 2013

Last updated May 23, 2016