how can i tell if my wisdom tooth is coming in?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Take a look !: You can see if the tip of the tooth is peeking through the gum in that area. Any pain? Another telltale sign. If you are in doubt and really need to know, see your local dentist.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Feel or see: You can often see the tip of the tooth coming through. Or often it will start hurting. At your age, best advice is to see an oral surgeon for assessment/recommendations.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
Panoramic x-ray: The only way to know if a wisdom tooth that is coming in or impacted is to see a dentist or an oral surgeon for examination and Panoramic x-ray.
Dr. Theodore Ritota
Dentistry 9 years experience
Dental exam best way: How old are you? Wisdom teeth usually come thru during the teenage years. But that can vary. Place your index finger behind what is your last visible tooth, should be your 2nd molar and if the are behind that is tender, it can be from your wisdom tooth. Best to get to the dentist and have an xray taken of the area. That will give you positive confirmation if the tooth is there.
Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dentistry 20 years experience
X-ray: Normally if you have no pain and no sign of eruption than you could see a dentist or an oral surgeon and they would take an x-ray to see if your wisdom tooth is coming in or not.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Pain: Many time wisdom teeth erupt without you knowing that it has happened, there is no pain. Sometimes there can be pain, swelling in the back of you mouth behind the last molars or in front of your ear. If you are experience a lot of pain in this area itis best to see your dentist. Infections are common around wisdom teeth. Most need to be removed because there is no space for them.