A 34-year-old member asked:
I have one amalgam filling and i have heard that they are made with mercury, is this safe for my mouth?
2 doctor answers • 3 doctors weighed in
Dentistry 40 years experience
You'll be fine: Amalgam fillings contain a number of different metals which are bound together using mercury during the placement procedure. It is not as if you are ingesting free mercury, which would be dangerous. Amalgam fillings have been used for over 150 years.. You'd think by now if there was a problem it would have manifested itself.
4.7k viewsAnswered >2 years ago
Pain Management 36 years experience
Safe and durable: Safe and durable choice. Most research finds no relationship between fillings and symptoms of mercury poisoning or other side effects. Eventually, any cavity if not treated, can lead to pain, infection, root canal and even tooth loss. See your dentist for evaluation, x-rays and treatment.
3.8k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Last updated Aug 5, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.