will doctors tell my parents about my suicidal thoughts if i am under the age of 18?

Dr. Bruce Lochner
23 years experience Clinical Psychology
Maybe - work a deal: A doctor's main objective is to help. People under 18 cannot, in most states and cases, consent to treatment (although exceptions exist). When i work with minors, i try to strike an agreement where the parents agree to allow me to keep confidentiality with their child so long as i agree to tell them when i think their child is in danger of suicide. Suicidal thoughts doesn't always mean danger.
Answered on Jun 8, 2015