I just had my pap smear. it came back normal. however i smell a odor a lot of the time..almost like a cardboard smell. it is worse after sex. ?

Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Possible infection: A pap only evaluates for abnormal cells or potentially pre-cancerous cells. It does not typically report any infection. It is possible that you could have a bacterial or yeast infection causing your symptoms and this may need to be treated with medication to resolve.
Dr. Craig Keathley
Infection?: The pap is strictly a screening test for changes in the cells of the cervix that mey be cancer or pre-cancer. A normal pap merely indicates no evidence of precancerous changes. Your symptoms suggest a possible infection or bacterial imbalance that should be evaluated by examining the vaginal discharge-- see your doctor and explain your symptoms.

Last updated Jun 8, 2018