Marietta, GA

I've had low back pain, sciatica in 1 leg over 10 years. my doctors have ordered mri's, but there aren't disc herniations. i can't carry things. can't sleep on my bad side. i've done pt. any ideas?

Dr. Douglas Green
Change approach: Time to see a neurologist. Pressure on a nerve (radiculopathy) is one of the causes of nerve problems. There are others. A neurologist is the expert that can evaluate you for these other problems. There are ways that can test for objetcive evidence.
Dr. Edgar Mendizabal
Trigger point inject: In the right hands, it is frequently very successful.
Dr. Robert Masson
Neurosurgery 33 years experience
Lateral recess : There are some difficult to diagnose low back problems involving the lateral recess, foramen and are often missed on routine screening. Complex degen spine surgery practices can sometimes diagnose these problems through history exam and specific attention to the lateral disc on mri.
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Neurosurgery 33 years experience
Carefully Review MRI: You can have both back and leg pain from severe disc degeneration in the absence of a herniation. A good spine surgeon may be able to identify the pain generator. Sometimes a CT discogram can identify the injured disc.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
EMG/NCS: Emg may be able to tell if there is an actual nerve injury as the source of your sciatica. However some types of sciatica do not have a true nerve injury and that is where the EMG may be limited, however if there is actual muscle damage the EMG will be able to pick that up. It is definitely a diagnostic evaluation that may actually provide your doctor some needed info to help your treatments

Last updated Feb 24, 2018