Dearborn, MI
A 25-year-old female asked about a 65-year-old male:

My uncl has colon cancer that has spread to his liver and now his lungs. he also has chf and had half of his colon removed. what is his survival rate?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 42 years experience
Not very good: I would suspect no more than 20% 5 year survival at best and probably with his comorbidities considerably lower than that. I am sorry for your uncle and your family. If nothing else is gained be sure first degree relatives all get screened for colon cancer at the appropriate time which may be less than the usual age of 50. Good luck to all of you.
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 56 years experience
Unfortunately: Not too much , not in years , make him comfortable, now the quality of life is important i end stage cancer disease, not just the patient , family also must participate in the decisions.

Last updated Nov 9, 2013