St Clair Shores, MI

16weeks pregnant. having sharp pains starting in my lower abdomen. between belly button and pelvis. it also goes into my back. could it be gas?

Dr. Jane Van Dis
Yes: Sharp and unusual pains can be normal in pregnancy. You want to make sure, however, that it's not a uti, or that you're not having any preterm labor. A urinalysis shows the former and a cervical length ultrasound can show you the latter.
Dr. Kenneth Horlander
Pulmonology 50 years experience
Pregnant Pain: Yes, it is possible, but don't wait too long to find out. If not better by tomorrow then see OB doctor. If gets severe then go to er.

Last updated Jun 10, 2014