Does it matter if a child who has arthritis running in the family have a rolling backpack or a regular backpack?

Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Regardless of FHX: When worn correctly, the weight in the back is worn evenly distributed across the body, shoulder and neck injuries are less commmon than carrying a briefcase/purse. Kids should not carry more than 10-15% of their body weight in thier backpacks. Too heavy causes muscle/joint strain and severe back pain. Rolling backpacks would avoid this but to kids are not 'cool.".
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Possibly: I am not a huge fan of seeing these young kids with back packs that in some cased weigh over 30 lbs!. I believe it is an unnecessary stress on their developing spines and also believe it may contribute to future problems but i cannot prove that. I will be happier when textbooks can be on ipads or the like. In the meantime, if the school allows would rather see rolling back packs.